    -----Message d'origine-----
    *De :* flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
    [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] la part de* Jerome Clarke
    a.k.a sinatosk
    *Envoyé :* vendredi 2 février 2007 16:54
    *À :* flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
    *Objet :* Re: [flexcoders] Apollo features

    To be honest... all this talk I've been hearing about Apollo being
    used as desktop applications using web technologies... I would
    kinda expect that you can launch exe passing parameters ( like CLI
    style or something similar ), talk to dynamic libraries like .dll
    ( Windows ), .so ( Linux )... kinda surprised it doesn't support
    any of that yet... yet they call it desktop applications... it's
    more like their own browser in my opinion... I doubt this is how
    Apollo will be all the way. But if it does... can't say people
    will move to it quickly while MDM Zinc is there being able to do
    all of that ( regardless Zinc is free or not ) and WPF/E

    I had plans to write applications where I can use SQLite, MySQL,
    GD2, run servers using TCP/IP on specific ports and ip addresses,
    video codecs like divx, xvid and others... if all I can do is talk
    to the file system then I may aswell stick with Flex 2... The only
    use I can see that for is for offline storage applications like
    the ebay application and Amazon application... Thats what alot of
    people want to do anyways but thats not the only thing they want
    to do...

    but then again I'm assuming quite abit here... I havn't got full
    info about Apollo... but what I've been hearing about WPF/E
    compared to Apollo... I'm assuming Apollo can't do some of the
    things I said above and I'm not interested in WPF/E. As far as I
    know... only works on Windows but I still watch it to see what
    people say about it... I like to be cross platform

    I use Flex 2 alot for the things I'm doing now. I don't think I
    will be using Apollo as much as I thought I predicted as I do with
    Flex 2

    On 2/2/07, *Kevin Newman* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

        Tom Chiverton wrote:
        > Does anyone or has read somewhere, if Apollo will allow you
        to launch native
        > local applications ?

        As far as I know, Apollo is using webkit, does this include
        the ability
        to run other plugins besides Flash (like Java)?

        If so, can you use one of those other plugins (java, or
        perhaps a custom
        plugin) to access native dlls and such by communicating from
        Flash to
        Javascript, then to the other plugin in Javascript?

        Kevin N.