Paul > I'm not really sure what that is all about, Background isn't chrome
it
is background. Children need to be in front of background.

I have a spec where I need another background behind the view children and
in front of the border.

Trust me, I have 1000's of hours of investigation into this. This applies if
you are doing low level coding in the framework.

Not to mention, when the container holds more then 1 view child, the
children get put into a content pane. It is impossible to get something
behind child 0 without using this hack.

Jesse,

with the text area, after removing it from the display list did you set;

textField = null;

??

Peace, Mike