I can tell you what I am doing... using different versions of SQL Server
as backend (SQL Server 2000 and 2005, MSDE, and Express, and MS Access):

    * First: SQL 2005 Express does NOT support web services endpoints
only the full versions do.
    * Keep SQL server hidden (either via firewall and perimeter network,
no remote access, windows authentication, etc.)
    * Data is read & written via ASP scripts (classic or .NET) which run
under IIS
    * Flex/Flash client use HTTPService to POST requests to ASP scripts
    * ASP scripts handle sessions and authentication (you can either
trust IIS session management or write your own, e.g. using encrypted
cookies)

Maybe this works for you too...

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Ray Horn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, but doing what you suggest means you must expose your database
server to the outside world and for some this is simply unacceptable.

(http://msdn2. microsoft. com/en-us/ library/ms345123 .aspx) that is
relevant here is "Any device that can parse XML and submit HTTP
requests can now access SQL Server."

> Enjoy!
>
> Paul

com] On Behalf Of Shaun
> Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 10:18 AM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ups.com
> Subject: [flexcoders] Re: Connect and Retrieve from MS SQL Server 2005
>
> The CLR is Microsoft's Common Language Runtime. It allows for
> language interoperability (write components in one language, use them
> in another, as well as many other benefits). The most common
> languages used with it are C#, Visual Basic, and managed C++
> (probably in that order - I use C#), though I believe you can use
> more than just those.
>
> You can do a google search for Microsoft CLR and find out plenty of
> additional information.
>
> Shaun
>
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] ups.com, "hugocorept" hugocore@ .> wrote:
> >
> > Why i don´t choose ASP.NET ?
> >
> > Because i havent any experecience with it :P
> >
> > But i promisse i will give it a chance . Just a quick doubt, can
> you
> > give a quick knowlodge about CLR, What you all mean with "you use
> > any CLR compatible language " ? Whats the benifts ?
> >
> > Tkz for all
> >
> > --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] ups.com, "Shaun" <sthalberstadt@ > wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, Fluorine uses ASP.NET. So you can use any CLR compatible
> > > language. (Fluorine itself is written in C#)
> > >
> > > It also has an installer that creates a web site template project
> > and
> > > comes with samples.
> > >
> > > I highly recommend it.
> > >
> > > Shaun