I think it would be illuminating for you to set a breakpoint in the
updateTransform method of the BubbleSeries class and check out what
flex is doing with renderData.filteredCache.  This is what it uses to
compute the bubble sizes.

You are right, there is no min bubble size, and the basic transform
scales the radius, not the area of the bubble, which I find very
misleading.  What it means is that two bubbles that are a factor of
two different in terms of their radiusField value are actually 4 times
different in area.  This confused the hell out of our users and was
logged against us as a bug.

I can share an overloaded bubbleseries class with you that I have
adjusted to have a min bubble size and which scales the area according
to the radiusField and not the radius.  Ely Greenfield deserves a
mention here for helping me out with it.

Let me know if you want the class and I'll email it to you.

SP