Oh boy, do I feel your pain...

1) Without breaking the licensing agreement I don't see any way round it
2) It is a potentially very valuable piece of technology, but I am
increasingly questioning it, especially as it is is largely unproven
and still pretty wobbly (and confusing).  It will be interesting to
see if Adobe have sharpened it all up with LCDS which is currently in
beta. I hope so.  meanwhile I am engineering its demise in our
solution as soon as we have the absolute necessity to go above a
single CPU.
3) There are some alternatives floating around.  I suspect that a lot
of people (myself included) will go back to their server roots and
handle this all through HTTP.  If you have any existing investment in
that technology on your server it is almost certainly worth pursuing
that route.  FDS/LCDS promises a lot but between the pricing and the
opacity it is a hard call to make.

Personally I think that the CPU based pricing is ridiculous and is
going to prevent the broad uptake of what could be a real
differentiator for Adobe of they got it right.  Like you I have an
impossible task justifying the cost and I can't just pass it on to my
customers so it cuts directly into my margin.  I wouldn't mind so much
if it was solid and proven, but it isn't.  This whole problem stands
out like a sore thumb for me in what is otherwise a truly excellent
platform.

Or maybe Adobe are just going to make it all open source and therefore
un-licensable.  With Microsoft looming, that may not be such a silly
proposition.

There have been other similar discussions on this board but nobody
from Adobe has had much to say about it.  I suspect talking about
pricing on a technical board such as this is a no-no.  However for
those of us wearing architect and technologist hats it is a very
relevant point and I'd love to hear from Product Management.

Simon