As an aside: I'm starting to think that optimizing the horizontal
scrolling is simply not going to be possible.

What do you think of futzing with the scrollbar so I can make it
render on the left side instead of the right side (for vertical
scrolling) ?  Would that be terribly difficult?  If I did that -- I
could make the whole datagrid visible (width wise) and use a container
to do the scrolling.  It would kill my locked columns, but as of now
horizontal scrolling is completely unusable -- at least this would
only make it frustrating.