I'd like to be able to create a component I can use as an ItemRenderer
or not.  It already works _not_ as an ItemRenderer, but all my attempts
to add support for the data property haven't worked.  Things I've tried:

1)  A creationComplete event that checks to see if data is an object of
the right type, then sets the appropriate object to data.  This throws
a stack overflow error.

2)  On the property getters, if the properties are null I set them to
the correct properties of the data object.  Since the information is
being gotten from a bound control, this throws it into an endless loop.

I'm suspecting this is a design pattern that has been solved before,
but I am not seeing an answer for it.  Can anyone point me in the right
direction?

Thanks.