*Beautiful*  That works perfectly.  Here's my finished code using a
datagrid with an id of myDataGrid and a bound datasource for the grid of
myDataSource.

The datagrid is set up like this:

<mx:DataGrid id="myDataGrid"

        dataProvider="{myDataSource}"

        editable="true"

        itemEditEnd="formatData(event)" itemClick="getmyvalue(event)">

Then the getmyvalue function is this:

                  private function getmyvalue(event:ListEvent):void

                  {

                        originalvalue =
myDataSource[event.rowIndex-1][myDataGrid.columns[event.columnIndex].dat
aField];

                        lbltwo.text =originalvalue;

                  }

If anyone copies the code, note that I had to use rowIndex-1 to get the
proper row index, but the columnIndex was fine the way it was.

Thanks again for your help, Alex.

Bob