There are no sortFunctions on the mxml page.  I'm trying to follow the
example in
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/2/docs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=LiveDocs_Parts&file=00000598.html

In that example, there were no sortFunctions on the data grid columns,
all the sorting was done in the model (ActionScript),  and the mxml
page just defined the sort function to use for the data grid.

Steve