I'm not sure what you mean by modules vs SWFLoader - I'm pretty new to
Flex.  I tried to strip out the pertinent parts of my app to make a
simple example - if you call 4 actionscript classes and an mxml simple
}:-). I don't get the problem in my simple test, but I still can't
sort correctly.

Perhaps I'm going about my design all wrong.  I have a series of
related data objects.  For example Roles have Applications, and
UserRoles have Roles.  I want to show all my UserRole mappings in a
data grid, and I want to display the Role's code and the Application's
code as well.  I can't seem to get at the parent object's properties
in a dataGridColumn's dataField property, which lead me to item
renderers that could, but that left my columns unsortable. Next I
tried using the headerRelease event to sort my ArrayCollection, but I
can't seem to be able to specify parent object attributes there either.

I never got bindable get/set methods to work properly, and even if I
could, I don't really want to add pass-thru get/set methods to my base
object becase all my ActionScript data objects are generated from the
original Java classes on the server side.

I'm also trying to avoid using a sortCompareFunction in the column,
because that would lead to a Lot of exteraneous little functions, with
little reusability between screens.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Steve