----- Original Message -----
From: "reflexactions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <flexcoders@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 3:21 PM
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: const?

>I work in a team and have so done for the last 20+ years and never
> yet declared a variable with function level scope as const just to
> prevent some other person coming along later and changing the code
> value of the variable if they think it is needed.

20+ years? LOL, I have the drop on you..

It's not just 'for some other person', it would be for the original
developer too.

> ...and if thats was the case why dont we see widespread use of this
> style within Adobe code...

Bad practice? I haven't gone looking through the adobe code to root this
out.

> If I need something like pi as a const I would declare a class member
> const for pi, not a function scoped const var.

Depends if you intend to use the constant outside the function. If it should
be accessible outside the function,  it should be a class constant, as you
say.

> But seems you guys program different from the way we do I guess,

Yes, but why wouldn't you declare a value intended to be used as a constant,
as const?

Paul