From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of shaun
Sent: 21 January 2008 03:50
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Access TWAIN scanners from Air

Jeff Tapper wrote:
> a colleague of mine has written an app to do this with AIR and Artemis
> and a handful of java classes. its pretty sweet.

Good for them.

> If used properly, AIR is anything but a joke.

"Properly" being the import part of that statement.
What you describe above is a hack to workaround AIR limitations.

Clearly AIR is not suited to the type of app that needs to access the OS
runtime or execute programs locally otherwise it would have an api to do
so. That is what i was referring to as a bad joke. AIR is fine for what
it _can_ do without resorting to things like Artemis.

I think the artemis(http://artemis. <http://artemis.effectiveui.com/>
effectiveui.com/) project was dropped
development wise, at least i think thats what i read when i was
subscribed to the project.

Yes people can and will workaround AIRs limitations.. People also write
system shells in PHP, that doesnt mean its a good idea.