Great comments, Larry. Here are some of my ramblings on the subject, not to
be confused with expert opinion:

Another option would be a rent-a-shack. There are lots of those in the
Caribbean and they generally come equipped with antennas already put up and
radios in place (which could be disconnected and replaced by SDRs). I
wouldn't presume to go with the intent of winning anything (not the first
time out anyway), but I see no reason why we couldn't make considerable
noise and get in a lot of logs (and have a lot of fun).  I'd personally like
to see a multi-multi so we could demonstrate our versatility
("Flex-ability", if you will) and be present on more than one mode. I'd
recommend against concentrating on digital modes in deference to
"mainstream" CW and SSB operation as that would only touch a corner of the
available user community.

Also, bear in mind that most of the DX contests are not all modes in the
same weekend. If we were to just do an IOTA operation that would allow us to
do pretty much anything we wanted when we wanted. The operating techniques,
and to some extent, logging requirements aren't very different whether
you're a DXpedition or a contest operation. I'd strongly suggest working up
a bulletproof integral logging/SDR environment - and testing it rigorously
under contest conditions before ever heading off for a remote operation of
any kind.

Regarding your comments about logging program integration, if we are looking
at a DXpedition operation rather than a contest from a DX location that
could make a difference in the log/SDR integration. For example, if we're a
non-contest DXpedition, we will likely be running (parked on a frequency for
extended periods with others calling us - probably split) all the time and
the panadapter and associated console real estate is mostly in the way. In
that situation, maybe we could reclaim that real estate and let the logging
software run in that freed up area of the desktop. If we're contesting, on
the other hand, the panadapter would be very useful for S&P operation.
Second monitor??

Gary W5ZL