Larry,

The device I recommended at Dayton is a Behringer UB 802 mixer. It has a 3 band EQ, Pre amp, and more. It sells for $50 from places like the Guitar Center or on-line at Musicians Friend.

A computer mic will work fine with the SDR and your Santa Cruz card. I have a $9 wireless mic I bought off the Internet and it works nearly as well as my studio mic.

Don't concern yourself with mic gain setting numbers--use whatever number gets you to at least 80% of MIC input meter.

The mic can be plugged directly into your sound card  [use MOX button to key radio]. Switching is automatic.  You may have changed a setting in the sound card mixer.  Give Eric a call, he can help you with correct settings.

john w5gi