Larry, don't worry at all about using high settings on the microphone gain.
This gain is all in the DSP software (it is arithmetic) and has nothing to
do with the sound card A/D converter level.  I run it in the 80 range with
the Heil mic here.

The Santa Cruz is also a good way to boost the mic if you like.  This is
covered in the digital mode configuration in the Delta 44 Quick Start guide.

Gerald