> Larry,
>
> The device I recommended at Dayton is a Behringer UB 802 mixer. It has a 3
> band EQ, Pre amp, and more. It sells for $50 from places like the Guitar
> Center
>  or on-line at Musicians Friend.
>
> A computer mic will work fine with the SDR and your Santa Cruz card. I
> have
> a $9 wireless mic I bought off the Internet and it works nearly as well as
> my
> studio mic.
>

> Don't concern yourself with mic gain setting numbers--use whatever number
> gets you to at least 80% of MIC input meter.
>
> The mic can be plugged directly into your sound card  [use MOX  button to
> key
> radio]. Switching is automatic.  You may have changed a  setting in the
> sound
> card mixer.  Give Eric a call, he can help you  with correct settings.
>
> john w5gi

I will give the Santa Cruz plugin trick a try.  If it works, I'm already
set, because I know the Santa Cruz already works right on digital modes
(though I suppose the mic gain setting may need adjustment for SSB).

Larry WO0Z

PS, thanks to everyone trying to set me straight.  A Universal Internet
notwithstanding, I don't think this level of help is available on _any_
other radio, period.