Just one more thought that occurred in the "ohnosecond" before I hit send. I
can't really fault Gerrald and Co. for choosing the 1/8" mini as the audio
connector in the SDR. That's what the associated sound cards used, and cost is
always a factor when you're marketing some device.

But, now that we've grown use to a slightly more sophisticated sound card it
might be time to look at for example a "D" connector that mimics the connector
on the D-44 card so a straight thru or perhaps a custom D to D cable (that
takes grounding issues into consideration) might be used thus replacing the
1/8" to 1/4" cables, the breakout box, and the breakout box to sound card
cables in one fell swoop. The only issue I see here is that this would lock us
to the D-44 if something better came along or the Delta 44 people folded.

73's de Bill AD5OL

At 10:19 AM 8/21/2005, Brian wrote:
>It sounds like there are some hardware mods coming through.
>May I make a suggestion?
>That weird mic plug.  Last rig I had that had that 4 pin plug was
>my TS-700G, 25 years ago.  Seems like the Heil mics are the
>preferred object of affection.  Wouldn't it make sense to put
>a mini stereo jack on the "front panel"

Ick! Horrors!  I hope someone does away with mini phone plugs. I've had so
many troubles with them over the years, they're almost as bad as those
coaxial power connectors.  It's impossible to get a good quality jack for
these things: the springs are just too small, and there's no commercial
incentive to make various quality grades, even if you were willing to pay
for it. Sure, the Heil uses them, but that's because they're trying to be
compatible and cheap.

Better suggestions:
Modular style phone jack (the jack is rugged.. the plugs not so much,
because the tabs break off, and they're really not designed for multiple
mate/demate).

XLR style (Rugged, latching, available in myriad places, with myriad
numbers of pins, although certainly, the 3 pin version is cheapest)

Lemo latching (pricey, but real nice, and rugged, even in small sizes)

1/4" phone plugs (There's a world of difference between 1/8" and 1/4",
because the springs are bigger in the jack).  There's also a slightly
different size used for the mic jack in airplanes (so they can't be
inadvertently interchanged)

Circular MS type (aka Bendix, MIL C-something, AMP Circular Plastic,
etc)  Rugged, not too expensive in the plastic form, securely mating.

D-sub, even (although they're awfully easy to damage if you step on it
laying on the floor).

Overall, I prefer connectors where the "hold the connector to the jack" is
something other than the "spring to make electrical connection", which is
the real failing of the mini phone plug.

>  that would accecpt the
>standard Heil plug?  Hopefully, VOX is not far from reality, so
>I guess another jack for PTT would be added too.
>
>73
>Brian
>N5BA

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075