Thank you Dan and Jim for the good comments. Sure I noticed how difficult it
is to measure the sound cards without proper instruments. The clipping (or
compression) levels are easy, but the noise in the present computer
environment and with signals approaching the thermal noise levels are
challenging.

Instead of measuring the audio card only I decided to continue with the
whole SDR-1000 system. I recorded 1) the noise floor (dBm/500 Hz) with audio
card input cable input connected to the radio and the antenna connector
terminated to 50 ohm and then 2) with a signal to radio until clipping or
compression was indicated at the line-in connector of the radio or at the
SDR-1000 own measurement systems.

The results were:
Preamp Setting HIGH, -140 dBm/500 Hz, -26 dBm, INA163 out 25 Vpp
Preamp Setting MED,  -130 dBm/500 Hz, -16 dBm, INA163 out 25 Vpp
Preamp Setting LOW,  -130 dBm/500 Hz, -13 dBm, INA168 out 4.8 Vpp (1.4 dB
compressed)

My conclusion is that the QSD can take about 4 Vpp until it starts to saturate and my sound card can take 29 Vpp, so the amplifier after the QSD could have 17 dB voltage gain for optimal results. The front end gain need to be adjusted accordingly. Dan mentioned:"... ideally 130 to 145 db to match the blocking performance of other rigs...". This should be our target and to achieve that we need audio cards handle signal from tens of nanovolts to tens of volts.

I estimate, the accuracy of the above measurements is about 1 dB. The measurements were made with PowerSDR 1.4.5 console with unmodified RFE. These figures serve as the reference when comparing the results of the ECO-25 modifications.

73, Ahti OH2RZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Lux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>