This 29v pk-pk sound card range is the essence of my concern
about sound cards.  The gain must not be constant.

Sound cards use A/D converter.  The two best audio A/D converts
I know of (and there may be others) are the Texas Instruments
PCM1084 and the Wolfson WM8785 or WM876.  The links for the data
sheets can be found at:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1804.pdf

http://www.wolfson.co.uk/products/digital_audio/adcs/WM8785/

A sound card can be no better than it's A/D converter.  Both of
The above converters are very similar.

The TI part, as specified on page 7, has an input range of +/-2.5v,
centered around 2.5v or 5v peak to peak.  This is the maximum input
voltage to this ADC.  Distortion + noise is rated at -101 db with an
input at 0.5 db.  Thus, the noise floor is about -100 db.  Since the
+/-2.5v input maximum is a level higher than a 0 db level, the dynamic
range of the A/D converter is specified on page 7 as being 112 db
(A weighted).

Lets look at the Wolfson part. On page 6, the input rage of this part
is specified to be 2v RMS which can also be expressed as +/-2.8v or
5.6v pk-pk.  This seems a bit odd because the part has a supply voltage
of only 5v, and I would not expect the input to be larger than the
supply range.  The distortion is -102 db (I am assuming this is distortion
+ noise), similar to the TI part, and the dynamic range is 111 db A weighted
and 108 db non-weighted.

The A weighted vs. non-weighted difference is probably significant since
we probably use these in an unweighted manner.  Thus the TI part is probably
really a 109 db dynamic range part.

Ideally, you should be able to get 6 db of range for every bit in the A/D
converter.  Thus, it would seem that 24 bit A/D converters would be capable
of 144 db of dynamic range (there might be a n-1 factor in here, 138 db, I do
not remember).  This is obviously not the case with real converters.  I have
seen real converters approach this only when they are running very slow, such
as a 10 Hz sampling rate.  Since we want 48+ KHz sampling rates, we get less
conversion accuracy and a smaller dynamic range.

Thus, the range on either of these parts from the weak to the strongest
signal than can be handled is 108 to 109 db.  Thus, it is not possible for
this A/D converter to have a blocking dynamic range greater than 112 db.
Since the current SDR1000 implementation is a wide band receiver, meaning
the A/D converter has no hardware filtering protection from large signals
far away, the burden of receiver performance falls squarely on the A/D
converter.  If the A/D converter has a smallest signal to largest signal
range of 108 to 112 db, then the receiver can do no better than this.  Thus
my comment on why it would be nice to have a sound card with 145 db of dynamic
range.  They do not exist because the very best A/D converters that the sound
card uses can do no better than 108 to 109 db.

A sound card is capable of reducing
its gain when it sees a signal of 29v pk-pk, and increasing it gain when the
signal is much smaller.  However, the dynamic range, the ability to hear a weak
signal in the presence of a large signal, does not change.  It can be no better
than 108 to 109 db in a wide band receiver such as the SDR1000.

If the detector is good for 5v peak to peak, and the A/D converter is good
for +/-2.5v signals, the best large signal performance would be to run with no
gain at all.  The problem would be an MDS of only -100 dbm, as the spec sheet
indicates.  A gain of at least 40 db would be required to lower
the MDS down to -140 dbm.  However, not matter what you do, the A/D converter
still has only ~110 db of dynamic range.  Thus, with an MDS of -140, I would
expect blocking to occur with a signal any where with in +/- 100 KHz with a
level of -30 dbm or more (110 db of dynamic range).  Although I have found -140
dbm sensitivity to be useful on 20m on at least one occasion (I was comparing
one
 of my homebrew DC rigs to a K2 capable of -136 dbm), I understand that the
lower
Bands get progressively more noisy.  For example, I understand that 40m rarely
has a noise floor of less than -116 dbm (500 Hz BW).  Thus the SDR approach of
applying variable gain is indeed useful, given the 110 db dynamic signal range
the
best A/D converters are capable of producing.

The good news is that to the extent A/D converters improve (more dynamic
range),
simply buying a better sound card should be all that is needed to upgrade the
performance of the receiver.

- Dan, N7VE