At 01:33 AM 2/4/2006, Sami Aintila wrote:
> > Could you not just set the port addresses
> > in each instance of PowerSDR...no USB confusion.
>
> [Eric] Absolutely.  This should work fine.

This solution could work with USB as well without (much) confusion.
Multiple SDR-1000 USB devices can be used simultaneously on a single
computer. I may be slightly biased here, but I think this is much
easier than adding parallel ports to your computer (especially
laptops).

Although USB is supposed to be plug-and-play and not bother people
with technical stuff like port numbers or I/O addresses, we can make
the USB driver detect which physical USB port the adapter is connected
to. We simply need a setting in PowerSDR software to select the USB
port we want to use with radio 1,2,...,N.

Whatever scheme the USB approach uses, it should accomodate the pervasive use of USB hubs (I think you'd need this anyway, because most PCs actually have a hub inside the box anyway).

Do USB devices have internal serial numbers?

Jim