Eric Ellison wrote:

Guys

Well since I started this, intentionally, and have read all the messages:

1. I did not want it to become a 'mini-flame-war' or battle of the
"operating Systems"

2. There is NO question that the FlexRadio Windows console, will now, and
until the end of the product life hold the product together. PERIOD!
3. Everyone 'skirted' around the question without really getting to the
PRIME reason.

        "Linux people, because of the nature of Linux, are for the mostpart
brilliant loners, insofar as an OS's is concerned."

This may turn out to be true for our group. But, it most certainly is not true in the wider Linux world. If it was, nothing would get done and the dozens and dozens of packages would not work on all the various levels and distributions that they are actually observed to do. In fact, I would expect if we produced a Linux console of any popularity, it would work, without significant fuss, on many distributions simply as a by product of its development. Everything else in the GNU world works that way anyhow. Did years before there even _was_ a Linux. There'd be some dependencies, as usual, but if your distro met the minimums, it would tend to work. That's the norm.

Now, whether we, this group, can pull together a proper Linux group to get a console done or not is an open question. I earnestly hope we can.

But, I've already cited my travails -- and I'm wondering how many share them.

For me, it isn't about Frank's or Larry's console half so much as it's about the half dozen wires I'd have to move around to switch between them to switch from "operate" to "tinker" and back again.

As long as this is true, I submit that I (and, I suspect others similarly equipped -- how many of us have multiple desktops, really) are going to find Linux having limited appeal EVEN IF, by miracle, Flex produced its own, closed source commercial version and sold it for a nickel. Point here being, I don't think it is quite so much open source holding things back as it may appear. People want the rig to work. I do, at any rate. Moving on and off Linux is too hard, at least for me.

Unless, of course, some subset of us were willing to stop operating a while and commit to Linux only, even if it means no 3X or whatever else we want this year. I hope such a group forms (maybe contesters could do it?). But that is what I think it will take. That and a willingness (which I think is practically there -- who wants to replicate Frank and Bob's great work?) to have a common core even if there is a Frank's console and a Larry's console down the road a piece.

When Frank noted earlier today that the jsdr console already did what I suggested, that's a big, important bit of news. It means your concerns need not be showstoppers. They might be, just as a matter of personalities and so on. But, _technically_, they need not and have not stopped other similar open source projects from succeeeding.

Larry WO0Z