Could it be done in hardware?  Absolutely.  Would it be better than the
current solution, I doubt it.  Mainly because you still have the issue
of detection + switching latency.  Even if you detected the peak
instantly, you still have to wait for the hardware to switch from RX to
TX which takes on the order of ~50ms.  This is just enough time to miss
the first syllable for many words.

A better solution could be done in software by allowing the monitor to
stay as close to real time as possible while the transmitted output is
delayed enough to take care of the switch time.  This is actually an
ideal solution for both voice modes and CW and is entirely possible with
4 port cards such as the Delta 44 and the FireBox.

Eric Wachsmann
FlexRadio Systems

My