On 5/20/06, Philip Covington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 5/20/06, Peter Martinez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > from G3PLX:
> >
> > Hello Sami. Thanks for joining the discussion - I feared I was on my own for
> > a while!  I hope some others will contribute too, so I don't get accused of
> > hogging the bandwidth (or perhaps generating too much noise!).
> >
> > You said:
> > >If your low 8 bits are truly random with no input, that's a good
> > >thing! It follows that when you inject a non-random signal, it will
> > >stand out clearly from white noise.
> >
> > Let me be simple-minded and respond:-
> >
> > But if my low 8 bits are truly random and I inject an 8-bit sinewave, isn't
> > it then level with the noise? If I could reduce my 8 bits of added noise to,
> > say, 4 bits, wouldn't my sinewave then be 24dB above the noise?  I don't see
> > how adding that much noise can ever be a good thing to do.  I am not trying
> > to trap you, I really would like to understand what's going on here. This is
> > all new stuff to me.
> >
> > I had a private email from a broadcast engineer who confirmed what I was
> > saying about dither noise. He said they added 0.5 bits-worth of white noise
> > to the analogue signal before digitisation, and subjectively that was the
> > best result.
> >
> > But that's half a bit of dither, not 8 bits.
> >
> > 73
> > Peter
>
> Really, its like we are continuing to beat a dead horse here... a 24
> bit card is not going to give you the theoretical 24 bits of
> resolution, just like a 16 bit card does not necessarily give  you its
> theoretical 16 bits of resolution.  Now some 16 bit cards can come
> close, but most 24 bit cards under $1000 are really going to give you
> << 18 ENOB.   Go back and do a search of the Flex Forum... there are
> examples of so called 24 bit cards that are much worse than some of
> the better 16 bit cards.
>
> When they say 16 bits or 24 bits, the manufacturers are refering to
> the ADCs rated resolution stated by its manufacturer.  The design of
> the ADC front end, board layout, power supply filtering, etc...
> determines whether the board will even come close to the ADC rated
> specs (which are sometimes very optimistic in the first place).
>
> The Delta 44 became the recommended card for the SDR-1000 for a long
> time because in its price range, its performance was good, it has two
> ins and two outs, and ASIO drivers were available for it.
>
> Phil Harmon has just completed testing of the AKC ADC in the JANUS
> ADC/DAC board.  He is seeing great numbers... this is the ADC used in
> one of the < $1000 cards.  We are not going to see 24 bits, but it
> will be much better than the Delta 44 or the Firebox.
>
> 73 de Phil N8VB

P.S.  I was so jaded by all this ADC "bit" stuff that when discussions
were going on in the old Xylo group about which ADC to use, I lobbied
hard for the TI PCM4202 since it was easy to get compared to the AKM
AK5394A part and I was convinced that the performance would not be all
that much better.  Well, I was definitely wrong about that one... this
came out in testing...  A few very smart individuals were suggesting
all along that we look at the AKM part.  I am glad that Phil VK6APH
and Bill KD5TFD continued to test all possibilities...

73 de Phil N8VB