-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Peter Martinez
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:42 AM
To: Flex Reflector
Subject: [Flexradio] 24 bit soundcards?

>From G3PLX:

I was talking to a physicist friend about the 24-bit Firebox and the
dissapointing performance that I had seen, and he said he had an M-audio
Delta 1010LT and would plug it in and see what it was like. I don't know
anything about it, but he seemed to think it would be pretty good. His
employers probably paid a lot of money for it!

He reported slightly lower noise levels than I did, but noticed something
odd about the statistics of this noise. Although all 24-bits were 'busy',
there was a very high probability (almost 100%) that the difference between
two consecutive samples was a multiple of 16.  He speculated that the
hardware was a 20-bit DAC, and there was some kind of added low-frequency
noise or dither added in at the 24-bit resolution.

I went back to the Firebox with this in mind. The first thing I found - and
I should have seen this much earlier - was that the bottom 2 bits of the
24-bit data from the Firebox were solidly fixed at zero!  But on going
deeper into the statistics, I found exactly the same characteristic as the
Delta 1010. It's a basic 20-bit ADC, but with an extra 2 bits of
low-frequency dither rather than 4.

I wonder what to make of all this. The discussion on this reflector about
24-bit soundcards revealed that there was a good reason to add-in a bit of
dither noise to mask the quantisation effect, but surely that should be at
the full sampling bandwidth, not a very low-frequency dither. I estimate
it's only a few tens of Hz on the Firebox. Perhaps this isn't a dither
mechanism but some kind of DC offset cancellation? In that case it isn't
adding LF noise (1/f noise?) but removing it.

Whatever, it looks like the Firebox says 24-bits on the box, has 22 bits
inside, of which 20 are derived from the ADC, of which 17-18 are useful.
That's two weeks in a row I have learnt something new.

73
Peter