It's not quite like the Windows PC is controlling an elevator, a
failure would be catastrophic in that case.

There is always the re-boot off course, but if one wanted to cover
oneself for the worst possible situation, one would have as part of
the emergency kit a spare HD with an identical copy of the setup in
case Windows eats the HD.

XP is fairly reliable compared to it's predecessors, but one must
keep that machine absolutely clean of miscellaneous software that
might affect system stability.

The games he plays is not the best software in the world to rate a
PC's stability by.

I've always been a harsh critic of Microsoft but XP if kept clean it
is very reliable. My main PC's and My son's have error correcting
memory and I can't remember the last time we crashed our PC's other
than power failures.

In the future Linux will also be an option.

At 10:50 AM 6/27/2006, you wrote:
>My teenage son questions the suitability of any software-defined radio
>-- especially one depending on a computer running Windows -- as a
>reliable means of communications in emergencies. Any takers?
>
>If I take the plunge and buy an SDR-1000, I expect to install my Icom
>IC-706MkIIG in the car permanently, so that would be the
>backup/emergency rig.
>
>Alan NV8A

Cecil Bayona
KD5NWA
www.qrpradio.com

"Windows, the most successful software virus ever" Don Seglio Batuna