Radio Station W5AMI wrote:

>Probably some stupid questions here (I truly hope not), but I'm sort
>of green when it comes to the digital modes.
>
>I thought I would experiment with using my SDR and MixW2 to receive
>and possibly transmit on some of the digital modes for a change.  I
>have the the virtual serial port driver installed along with VAC.  I
>set my pair to COM6 and COM16.  Com6 in the SDR and Com16 in MixW2.
>
>Just a few questions so far;
>
>Is it normal to hear the audio from both the SDR and MixW2 when
>enabling VAC?  I assume one can be muted, but not both?  If I mute the
>SDR, where do I set the audio level for MixW2?
>
>Other than RTTY, CW and maybe Packet, I don't have a clue what some of
>these modes I'm hearing are.  Can anyone point me in the right
>direction to figure out how to ID some of these?
>
>I'm hoping there is some sort of "getting started" thing on the web
>for using this combo that would put me in more of a comfort zone
>before starting to transmit digital.  I would hate to come across as a
>"DIGI LID" ;)
>
>Thanks for any suggestions.
>
>Brian / w5ami

Hi Brian,
Since I use two audio cards, I ´ll answer only to the identification
question.  The best thing you can do is to obtain an audio recording of
the digital modes in order to identify it "by ear".  But SDR-1000 has a
wonderfull aid: the spectrum display.  Once you have seen any digital
signal in the panadapter, you know what it is and which mode you must
select in MixW2 to receive it.
I have some wav audio recordings of some modes.  If you can receive big
emails or have an ftp site, I´ll find it and send to you.

73 de Ignacio, EB4APL