As a newbie, I had to jump in on this.   My SDR-1000 is one whole week old,
I too was concerned about the problems reported here on the forum,  but
decided to go ahead.  Wow!  155 CW qso's later, I I can say that this is a
fine CW rig too. (I'm a Ten Tec fan, so I know CW)     I stay up with the
latest SVN releases too.   I use an external keyer and use the sidetone from
the keyer, although not really necessary.  I can use the sidetone from the
PC too.  The internal keyer is fine too , provided the paddle is connected
to the serial port and I follow the recommended settings.  Who needs real
QSK anyway?

The receiver is phenomenal, the panoramic display makes the panoramic
display on my IC-756PROII look useless.    When I both hear and see QRM, I
just casually reach
for  the mouse, click and drag  on the side of the passband  and eliminate
the qrm station.     The other afternoon when 20 meters was quite hot, I was
point and shoot with the mouse to work the DX, one after the other.    Can
spot a new DX pop up and work him before others even know he is there.

Working digital modes is a real treat too.  You have to try it.

Go ahead and order the SDR-1000, you will be glad you did.  Sure, there will
be issues to resolve in  set-up.  This is not a plug and play unit, takes a
while to get it going right.  The SDR-1000  is a totally different radio
experience.

I will keep the PROII to impress the neighbors.  The SDR-1000 is the main
rig now.

Still can't get DRM receive software program to work with VAC though.  Fun
to keep at it, I'll get it.  .

73  N3WT   John