I'll second Phil's recommendation!  But I'll also point out that Dan has a
valid point regarding the text of the meter.  Often it just isn't very
useful (although in some cases it is), and thus having its presence be a
user-selectable option makes alot of sense.

The problem, as I see it, is that there is a LONG list of features that have
been requested, and a very small software team (who are also handling bug
fixes, attending ham conventions, etc.) with which to implement them.  Thus,
requests must from necessity be prioritized, which means that a request
might take a long time to be implemented, if it's implemented at all.

This is exactly the situation I faced when I bought my Flex radio almost
exactly a year ago.  After using it a bit I realized that there were a
number of features in the User Interface that I would have preferred be done
differently - some major, some minor.  But I thought that the Flex team
would be much too busy to worry about my own personal preferences (I think
this was before they'd instituted their feature-request on the web page), so
I figured, why not do it myself?

Sure, the Flex code wasn't commented.  Sure, there's no documentation.
Sure, I didn't know c-sharp.  But I didn't really see any of these negatives
as being reasons for me not to try.  The tools weren't too expensive (I
think I paid $250 on ebay), and, in the end, it turned out that modifying
the code really wasn't that difficult.  Best of all, I had a great time
doing it!

So what am I pitching?  First step: if there's a feature you'd like added or
changed, get it into the Feature Request list on the website.  If it then
seems like the request is going nowhere, and if you have *any* sort of
software experience, don't be afraid to get your hands dirty mucking around
with the software.  After all, if you've got time to yak on the radio, then
you've got the time to write code.  And, who knows...you might even have
fun!

Best regards to all,

- Jeff, K6JCA