At 04:08 AM 10/16/2006, Andy Smith wrote:
>Thanks for all the suggestions, in this case I am not looking to use it with
>PowerSDR, it is for another project with a Winradio G305. I am looking to
>try and improve the VHF/UHF sensitivity, I currently own a Firebox, FA-66
>and Delta 44 which I use with the SDR1000.
>
>In your expert opinion Alberto, would I get as much as 3dB sensitivity
>improvement over these other high end sound cards, if not I probably could
>not justify buying it.

Are you looking for raw sensitivity (which would seem to equate to
gain and noise figure) or dynamic range?  if it's just minimum
detectable signal that you're worried about, why not a very low noise
opamp.  There's a fair number of low noise op amps, and if you're
really obsessive about 1/f noise, there are some very, very quiet
JFETs out there, but more likely, things like construction practices
(the kind of resistor you use, and whether you use a board or
"floating in air on teflon post" construction.

>Best regards,
>Andy.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075