I was thinking of RTTY, and the effect on the transmitted signal if
the signal supplied to the (non-linear final) amp has any distortion
at all, which is then made even worse in the amp.

Or, asked another way, what would be the distortion limit of the
exciter in order to transmit a "clean" RTTY signal from a non-linear
(think C or E class) power amp using the SDR-1000 as the exciter?

Jerry W4UK