SSB + carrier is actually SSB, as algorithmically defined.  We hams use
SSB-SC which is SSB having suppressed carrier.  When NTSC was being
debated in the mid-40's, the video transmission was originally proposed
to be SSB-SC to reduce the video TX power by sideband and carrier
elimination, especially at VHF frequencies where it was difficult at
that time to transmit at reasonable power efficiencies.

SSB-SC was dropped because it was found that the vast majority of video
content (analog, of course) was heavily weighted in low frequency,
requiring good fidelity down to DC.  SSB-SC has no DC reference and has
poor LF fidelity.  SSB (with carrier) was found to also suffer poor LF
performance and corresponding picture fidelity.  It was from this and
also the ability to easily implement AFC (automatic fine tuning control)
on the receiver that a small remnant, a vestige, of the lower sideband
was included in the transmitted signal.  The result was a very, very
expensive modulator/PA but a reduced cost television receivers with good
linearity across the 4.2MHz luma bandwidth (another technical feat in
1948) and this is what both Zenith and (General) David Sarnoff wanted -
cheap receivers!

Lee Pedlow
Systems Engineering
Sony Electronics, Inc.

San Diego, CA

CONFIDENTIAL

This email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18
U.S.C. 2510-2521 and is legally privileged. This e-mail is intended only
for the personal and confidential use of  the individual(s) to which it
is addressed and may contain confidential information.  If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received
this document in error, and that any review, distribution, copying or
disclosure is not authorized.  If you have received this communication
in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and destroy
the message.