Christopher T. Day wrote:

> Of course, there is always Java, which not only compiles across
> platforms but whose executables really do run across platforms. But that
> would be too easy.
>

>       Chris - AE6VK

Actually it's not easy, Java has a huge learning curve due to it's
massive libraries. So you would be placing considerable limits on who
could help. And even more important the major player "programmers" are
not fans of Java, and it's important to keep them happy.

The current choice C# is not a bad choice, better than Java or C++.

However if you use DttSP to do the math for you, you are free to use
whatever else you like for the display/control program, there are some
consoles written in Java, Squeak (smalltalk) and, C# at the present
time. This situation keeps getting better as more and more separation
between the modules get implemented.

The plan is for eventually to have a message driven interface between
the modules driven by Erlang messaging, which will make it very easy to
write a control/display program that basically sends messages to another
module that could be on another PC or locally. When they get there I
anticipate a free for all with people writing their own consoles in
every sort of language and platform. Erlang has libraries for all sorts
of languages and OS's to send/receive messages.

It will be really exciting once some of this gets implemented.
--

Cecil
KD5NWA

"Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!"  Don Seglio Batuna