Jim Lux wrote:
> I call BS. It is a royal pain just to reinstall your existing
> applications on a new computer, staying in the Windows world. There
> are lots and lots of Windows only applications out there that are
> quite useful, if not necessary.
>

> For instance, I use 4NEC2 as a front end for NEC analysis. It's not
> available for Linux, and I'm not particularly eager to go back to
> writing and reading bare NEC decks.
Works fine here in Linux using a tool called wine. It lets you use your
"must have" windows applications under linux, until a better alternative
presents inself.

> I use Microsoft Word's equation editor, reviewing, and cross
> referencing capabilities a lot, and open office is incompatible for
> some reason. I haven't dug into why, but since I need to generate MS
> Word documents for others to review and work on, I'm not likely to
> change, nor am I interested in spending lots of time figuring out how
> to make it compatible.
I have no idea on this one, so you might have a point here.

> What about hot-syncing my Treo with my PC?
Works fine. Using a bluetooth radio link to do the sync.

> What about support for my Tablet PC? I'd hate to give up my stylus and
> the ability to take notes on a tablet.
Works fine in Linux. Linux support touch screens and the like.

> Then, there's those horrible, but necessary, websites that are IE
> only. All too many manufacturers of components put their data out with
> slick IE only web interfaces. Why, I do not know (just ignorance on
> their part, or they hire a low budget web developer who is MS centric).
This may or may not be true. I have just never found such a site yet.

> What about compatiblity with my co-workers? I work somewhere where we
> have a variety of OSes (Win, Mac, Linux, Solaris, etc.) and people
> that are non-Windows users tend to wind up having a Windows machine
> too, just to interoperate. (This just moves the pain of interoperation
> to just one person, rather than inflicting it on many people) The
> occasional incompatibility between Powerpoint on the Mac and
> Powerpoint on the PC alone is a pain, and they're both MS products.
There are incompatibilities between MS Office 2000 and MS Office 2003
both on the Windows platform, so you cannot really use this complaint
against Linux.

> So, if you are running in your own isolated world, you can probably
> find functional equivalents for most applications that are Linux
> compatible, and your work can go along just as well or better.
> However, many people are in a Windows environment at work, and would
> just as soon use the same applications at home as at work, especially
> if their life isn't wrapped up in computers and they derive no special
> thrill from being multi-OS-lingual.
>
> So, I call BS on the claim of "no significant pain to move from
> Windows to Linux". It just ain't so, which means that if you want
> people to move, you have to provide not only comparable functionality,
> but also make the move to Linux (and back to Windows) relatively
> painless. It's the move back that is especially important, because you
> may find that Linux just isn't going to work for you.

You clearly have your view, and I have mine, I guess we can call this
quits and end this thread. :-)