Philip Covington wrote:
> On 1/3/07, Bob McGwier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <snip>
>> After we have the radio running either stand alone with a Linux box in
>> it (or in the case of SDR-1000, by it) we can then work out the delivery
>> of audio across the room, across town,  across the planet.  It will
>> simply be a different connection for the Linux box, running jack,
>> providing the ultimate in audio service and delivered to the registered
>> client managed by the erlang core.
> <snip>
>> Happy New Year
>> Bob  N4HY
>
> If you have a Linux box (Mini-ITX/Nano-ITX?) running the SDR core, it
> might make sense to partition that radio up into a digital section
> that is on a PCI or PCIe card and an isolated ADC/analog section.
> Having the digital section setting on the PCI bus gives you great
> bandwidth and solves that part of the problem.  A PCI driver for Linux
> is no problem.
>
> I am considering either a GigaE or PCI/PCIe interface for a future
> version of QSxR.  I am leaning towards a PCI/PCIe version with a high
> speed serial (either fiber or copper) connecting/isolating the
> ADC/analog and digital sections for the type of application (Linux box
> running SDR core).

We are in violent agreement.  I am absolutely convinced that Vista is
the death of embedded processing of the types we need and it will never
be on the new radios.  It makes no sense to run anything but Linux on
the embedded controllers and then have them be a server.  I don't care
if GigE,  Firewire,  or PCIe delivers the data.   My primary concern for
PCIe inside a Windows machine is that we cannot get a signed driver to
run in kernel space under Vista.  If you mean PCIe on the embedded Linux
controller in the radio,  then we are absolutely on the same page.

> Phil N8VB

73's
Bob
N4HY