There are multiple settings which easily impact this.  As Alex correctly
states,  one size does not fit all.

Take the RF gain and turn it down until the noise floor is not
objectionable to you and then slow down the agc time constants.  I
either like SLOW in almost all rag chew cases or Customize settings.

73's
Bob
N4HY

Tayloe Dan-P26412 wrote:
> It was nothing special.  Just a simple SDR receiver; front end,
> detector, and audio preamplifier. I just threw something together to
> work with a 40m transmitter I was working on.
>
> It just struck me how noisy it sounded running with AGC turned on
> compared to my other NC2030 type phased narrow band rigs.  The AGC just
> brings the band noise up when no other signal is present.
>
> - Dan, N7VE

"Taking fun as simply fun and earnestness in earnest shows
how thoroughly thou none of the two discernest." - Piet Hine