-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of kd5nwa
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 1:43 PM
To: Flex Radio
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Spur on AM

You can also have 60Hz/50Hz hum and harmonics from having ground
loops which the transformer eliminates.

The DC offset of the soundcard or picking up the LO causes the narrow
spike at the center of the pass-band, but sometimes you also have a
hump that is fairly wide and slowly decays, a lot of that is hum and
harmonics.

At 11:51 AM 1/23/2007, you wrote:
>Jeff,
>
>What does the bandpass of the isolator look like compared to what we
are
>trying to pass?  I am sure that a better transformer could be had if it
>would help.  As far as the hump is concerned, isn't it  just those
>frequencies close to DC that cause it?
>
>Tom   W0IVJ
>
>Jeff Anderson wrote:
>
> >I just made a few more measurements using my Delta 44 and some of my
test
> >equipment.  Adding in the ground-loop isolator to the Line-In path
has the
> >following effects:
> >
> >Positive:
> >
> >1.  Noticably reduces the IF "hump".
> >2.  "Flattens" the display (w/o the isolator, I see a bit of rolloff
towards
> >the display edges when in 0.5x zoom mode.
> >
> >Negative:
> >
> >1.  Image rejection worsens at the display edges.  That is, if a
strong
> >signal is in the receive audio passband (I used a -40 dBm signal) and
you
> >null its image down to the noise-floor, if you then shift the
frequency of
> >the received signal (but not the receiver's VFO-A frequency), you'll
see the
> >image begin to reappear.  If the signal is moved in frequency such
that the
> >image is at the edge of the display (again, in 0.5x zoom mode), it
appears
> >to me that the image rejection is about 10 dB worse *with* the line
> >isolator.  In other words, it's in the mid to high 30's (of dBs)
instead of
> >the mid 40's.  (Note, though, that in either case, the image can be
nulled
> >down to the noise).
> >
> >I'm not sure that the positives outweigh the negatives, but it raises
some
> >questions:
> >
> >1.  Can an "isolator" be designed, in hardware, to maximize the
positives
> >and minimize the negative?
> >2.  Could a filter be designed so that, when it's convolved with the
input
> >signal, we maximize image rejection across the whole display, and not
just
> >at the frequency for which the image is nulled.  That is, can the
"bowl"
> >shaped response to image rejection (when viewed across the entire
display)
> >be flattened?  If so, how could this be done.  (And what's the plan
> >regarding the use of the pulse generator that's in the hardware?)
> >
> >- Jeff, K6JCA

Cecil Bayona
KD5NWA
www.qrpradio.com www.hpsdr.com

'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then
beat you with experience.'