At 03:29 PM 4/10/2007, Toby Deinhardt wrote:
>Hi,
>
> > Q35. What changes were made to the internal (non software) bandpass
> > filters on the FLEX-5000?
> >
> > A. First, all filters are low pass instead of band pass. We don't
> > need band pass filters in the FLEX-5000 SDR architecture. Also, the
> > transmitter and both receivers have their own independent filter
> > banks. Nothing is shared in the FLEX-5000.
>
>The acid test for any RX here in Europe is its large signal behavior.
>I know of no RX with a Scheunentor frontend which survives this test.
>
>I'm not sure that this is a good idea....
>
>How this is going to work with numerous 9+40 to 9+60dB signals (I'm
>not joking) in the MW, 49m and 41m bands, I would like to know.

What might be interesting is something like a rapidly tunable
preselector that gets commanded by the radio.. on receive, one might
be able to do it with some varactors and inductor. Sort of standard
practice on things like spectrum analyzers, where they use a YIG
preselector, but at HF that YIG sphere would be the size of a bowling
ball, or larger.  It would be a tricky design so the varactor didn't
cause more problems than it solves.

One of the mfrs has a little stepper motor driven LC preselector, but
that seems a bit archaic..

I've been thinking about this in another connection...but, since it
doesn't have to handle Tx power, there's a lot of possibilities..
Would you prefer a bunch of narrow band notches, or a really sharp
band limiting to the ham band, or a tunable selective filter (say 3-5
kHz wide?)

Jim, W6RMK