Hi,

Price is all relative.  Isn't the Omni-VII about $2500 or a little
more, and it's not even a top-of-the line transceiver. I paid $3200 +
- for my Omni-VI in 1992, in 1992 $.  What does the top-of-the line
transceiver of the big 3 plus Ten Tec go for? Can you compare the
Flex 5K to them?  Maybe not quite.  Where does it fall short?  Two
full receivers?  Close-in dynamic range?  Roofing
filters?  QSK?  Manual notch filter?  What will they be in 3-5 or 10
years compared to the Flex 5K?  As long as the hardware is there, the
5K software in 3-5 or 10 years most likely will be an order of
magnitude more advanced, in which case in order to keep up, you can
buy another big 3+ transceiver, probably for 10K+ $.  The Flex 5K is
a lot of radio for the price, and seems to be a good investment in
future technology.  I would like to see a point by point comparison
of the performance of the Flex 5k and the IC-7800 (list $13466.65,
discount $10588.98) or Orion II  ($4395) or FT9000.  I guess we will
have to wait for the ARRL lab report for this.  I can wait.

73,  Chas W1CG

On raw performance, it's pretty hard to beat a K2.