Frank ... everyone that I know that is serious about audio and owns a
Flex is using external processing for exactly the reason that you are
inquiring about. I have been absolutely unable to get  close to the
performance of a simple external hardware preamp and compressor with the
built in software processing. So the short is .. yes your experience is
right on. I have to add however, that I don't consider it a problem. It
would be nice to not need to use external gear but it doesn't bother me
that I do!

--Larry W8ER