My experience of listening to the SDR1000 on the air is also that there
is no audio punch.  I keep a sked with a ZS every Friday over quite a
difficult polar path.  He has two radios, one an old analogue rig with
an RF clipper, and the other an SDR1000.  When the path is especially
difficult, or there is some auroral flutter, the SDR is almost unusable.

I have raised this issue with the SDR software guys, asking if/when
there is going to be an RF clipper included as an option.  Reactions
have been mixed.  One guy said he appreciated that RF clipping was the
way to go, but the other is not convinced.

I am intending to replace my ageing analogue rig with an HPSDR, but will
not put in on the air on SSB until the Tx audio issue is resolved.  I
was hoping that somebody else would write the clipper software, but it
doesn't look like that will happen in the short term.  I will therefore
have to have a go myself.  The problem is that, although I have written
some C in the past, software development has left me behind a tad, and
it will take a while to catch up.  I have, however ordered Visual
Studio, and when it arrives I will start my re-learning process.

I DO intend to have an RF clipper in my HPSDR, even if it takes a
while.  If someone else comes up with one in the mean time, so much the
better!

73, Greg, ZL3IX