My findings with SDR-X SVN:1209. I work 6 meter weak signal stuff. I want/need,
on SSB, audio that is very penatrating but not distorted.

I have a Remote Base (SDR) 17 mile from me, thanks to W4MO. I have spent many
hours listening to myself, watch the Panadapter on the Remote Base and
adjusting my audio for penetrating audio.

I have listened on 20 meters for DX'er audio that has the characteristics that
I like. What I have found is the Icom ProIII and the Yaesu FT2000 has audio
that I like. This is with their compression turned on. I have tried to measure
their band width with the SDR Panadapter. I have found they run about 200Hz to
2,800 Hz  band width for the effect I like. I use no external processing.

My setting are: Transmitter band with 200 to 2,800Hz. Leveler On, Compander on
3, Compressor on 3, Mic Gain 20,  TX EQ on, setting of EQ Preamp 3rd mark down
from top...top mark being #1, Low 6 down, Mid 4 down, High 1 (top mark...15db)
and 160Hz Notch on. I did not think the notch would help running 200 to 2,800
Hz Band Width, but it does. I use no external processing. Using a Marshall MXL
2003 condenser Mic.

The lastest change that Bob made (1209) really helped average power out with
very low distortion! Thanks Bob.

I have tried VE3NEA Voice Shaper software, but much prefer the SDR on board
setting above. Watch your Mic Gain setting! Every rig is different, with a
multitude of Mics out there.

Let me know what you think after having a friend listen to your audio.

73, Dave, W9DR