Bob,

I knew that this type of mathematical analysis of the out of band signal was
theoretically possible.  However, I hesitated to mention it lest you guys
get deluged with clamoring for its immediate implementation.  You let the
cat out of the bag, so you are responsible for the consequences....hi, hi.

In all seriousness, what you will be experimenting with is not an "out of
passband notch", but rather an analysis of an out of passband signal which
is causing in passband interference and using the results of that analysis
to predict the characteristics of the in passband interference.  A
compensating signal could then be generated to cancel out the in passband
interference.  This approach, if successful, could theoretically allow
interference-free SSB QSO's only a kHz or two apart.  The prospects are
mind-boggling.  Good luck.  I certainly wish you success!

However, there is unfortunately still no benefit from an out of passband
notch.

73, Ray, K9DUR