One more comment about measurement methods.

Gerald may have gotten the 1 dB figure from my blocking measurements (instead
of dynamic range).
Onset of blocking, or gain compression, is usually measured at the 1 dB point.
I only measure blocking at 100 kHz, as the phase noise of many radios
predominates closer in.
I also now measure blocking against a 1 uV signal, as this generally keeps the
AGC out of the picture.
The League may use an S5 signal, but that allows the AGC to counteract the
blocking for several dB.
I have seen the audio output stay constant, yet the S meter drop from S5 to S4
to S3, etc. as the generator was increased in level while making the blocking
measurement.
Depending on what S5 is on a given radio, this gives numbers that are hard to
compare from radio to radio.
Since most radios today, especially with the preamp off, have an AGC threshold
around 2 uV or higher, a 1 uV signals seemed like good choice.
In the case of the 5000A, since the phase noise, at least on my sample, was
flat, I still had problems with the noise at 100 kHz while trying to measure
the 1 dB drop in audio for the blocking test, using the old standard RMS volt
meter. (HP 3400A with linear dB scale)

The League is now using a spectrum analyzer to measure blocking.  Phase noise
can be going up, as measured on an RMS meter, but the audio can be going down
due to blocking, if observed with a spectrum analyzer.  I went to the analyzer
method when I measured the 5000A blocking.  This will likely be my standard in
the future.  Even with a 10 Hz bandwidth on the spectrum analyzer, the audio
level still wobbles around a bit from sweep to sweep as it integrates the noise
and signal.

On the subject of Elecraft and Flex, I think it is wonderful that additional US
manufacturers are back in the fray, competing with Japan, Inc.

73, Rob Sherwood, NC0B

>>> "Gerald Youngblood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/6/2007 7:03 pm >>>
There are both misconceptions and apples/oranges measurements here.  The IMD
DR3 numbers quoted by Elecraft are almost certainly measured using the ARRL
lab methodology (IP3 Measured at S5).  Using the ARRL S5 IP3 test methods,
we measure the FLEX-5000 at 100+ dB IMD DR3 at any spacing (including 100 Hz
or less).  Those are top class numbers at any spacing.

Note that Sherwood uses a different measurement technique where IP3 is
measured at a 1 dB rise in the noise floor.  Sherwood measured the FLEX-5000
at 96 dB at any spacing using his methods.  Sherwood's website shows the
Elecraft K2 at 80 dB IMD DR3 at 2 kHz and 98 dB at 20 kHz.  There is no
independent measurement info on the K3.

By the way, I have tremendous respect for Elecraft.  This is only an effort
to clear up some misinformation.

73,
Gerald

Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR