Yep, been there.  Both with big drives at work
and home.

Outlook is not friendly for backups.  That helped
me switch to Mozilla Thunderbird.  Now it's a
plain folder that I can put on CD.

Rather than trying to do the whole drive for each
backup, I periodically make CDs and DVDs with my
critical files.  By making them plain files, I
don't have to worry about backup software (I got
burned with Microsoft Backup version differences
more than once.)  I also have PCs with two hard
drives in them and copy files between drives for
a quick backup; but that doesn't protect me from
a virus.  My archival files I recopy maybe once a
year.  CDs do degrade.  Don't forget to test your
backups and store them off site.  Fire and theft
happen.

Mike - AA8K