OK, so now you want 2 databases? What happens when the new design of your
"frequencies and optional settings" database requires a new feature or design
change?

I try to contribute by testing the alpha software and give feedback on how new
features are working. I'm not about to suggest how or why things are
implemented the way that they are because I'm not qualified to do so.

If you feel strongly about  the 2 database configuration perhaps you should
enter it as a feature request.

Anything is possible but as we head towards the implementation of the new
architecture I wouldn't want the programmers to waste time on something that
may be moot in the months to come. But then again, I may be wrong!!

Edwin MarzanAB2VW> Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 19:39:41 -0500> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED];
flexradio@flex-radio.biz> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: [Flexradio]
SVN's and new database.> > All> > There has been a lot of talk lately on data
bases, SVN's and don't > look a gift horse in the mouth. I would like to make a
> suggestion. Even though we have a program that we can transfer data > between
the old and the new data bases, and I have MS Access and can > do all kinds of
things with it, it still is a pain to have to do. I > have the memory filled
with pages of frequencies that I use that > needs to be transferred to the new
data base. So why not separate > the data base into two data bases, one that
contains of frequencies > and optional settings do not need to be updated with
a new SVN, and > one that does. Then the programmers will be happy and the rest
of us > will be happy too. A corollary to the updating of the data base is >
that PowerSDR is becoming much too complicated for the average ham to >
maintain. Think Flexradio, how this is going to affect your market.> > Thank
you> > Chas> > At 12:20 PM 1/8/2008, Jim Lux wrote:> >At 08:26 AM 1/8/2008,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:> > >I think the implication in the posting was that
there should perhaps be> > >some kind of automated database upgrade that maybe
runs at install> > >and/or startup time and takes care of migration of various
settings from> > >the old schema to the new. This can quickly become
non-trivial if there> > >are multiple versions to consider (upgrade from what
to what?).> > >> > >IMHO the lack of such a capability is not that big a
problem due to the> > >relatively small amount of inconvenience involved in
occasionally> > >manually recreating the database.> >> >And, we're really
talking about database changes between bleeding> >edge alpha releases. I think
the existing database conversion> >mechanisms work fairly well between actual
production> >releases. (that sort of reduces the scale of the "which version
to> >which version" complexity)> >> >That said, I wouldn't be surprised if some
of the database> >corruption/rebuild necessity has nothing to do with PowerSDR.
The> >Access/Jet DB engine has a number of odd quirks itself, and has lots> >of
little pieces that all have to work together, not to mention a> >zillion
versions of the MDB file internal structure. It isn't one of> >Microsoft's
finer products (which is why SQLServer is what they> >recommend for "real"
databases).> >> >See, e.g., http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html towards the bottom
http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/> Knowledge Base:
http://kb.flex-radio.com/ Homepage: http://www.flex-radio.com/>