On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Lee A Crocker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I think the Indian radio is a fantastically positive development.

Lee --

In general I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying here. However it's
hard for me personally not to feel a *little* put out in this area...

You know why you hate Microsoft?  Because that bastard Gates wants to make a
> nickel off every breath you take.  With Flex we breath the air of freedom.
>  Open source breeds collegiality and community, and a complete familiarity
> with this kind of radio experience...

What irks me about it is, not so much as a how-do-ye-do to the software
purveyors except, Grab It! It Works!

Here's a comparison. Phil Covington and Jonathan Naylor, in their projects,
have absorbed a *lot* from DttSP. The much-vaunted dual-spectral display in
the K6JCA console is really just a transposition into PowerSDR of the same
kinds of displays that have existed in the Linux console versions by John
Melton and Edson Pereira for, literally, years now.

That's fine. That's what was *supposed* to happen: the existing software was
intended above all as a platform for anyone to stand on, to make further
contributions. But, as Linus Torvalds points out, that's the payback. Others
can take your work, improve it, and play the improvements back into the
community. We all gain.

I would be *much* happier if the WonderRadio folks would make *their own*
PowerSDR/DttSP distro, as they are entitled to do, because it would
represent a level of work at least beginning to approach what they've done
in retooling three boards down into one. Then we could all learn from what
they do.

I wish, for example, that they would turn the project over to Ramakrishnan
Muthukrishnan and say, Go, make this even better. He's as well- or
better-equipped to do that job, as anyone I can think of. He has contributed
materially to the Linux effort for years, and deserves a chance to have his
ideas and talents embodied in a showcase product.

Unfortunately, merely adopting PowerSDR silently doesn't further the
software end of things very much. It will be disappointing if that continues
to be true. Not damaging, just disappointing.

73
Frank
AB2KT

> I think the whole model is incredibly forward looking.  I just read an
> article on EHAM talking about the death of ham radio.  It may be dying here
> in the US, but with adventures like this in the countries that are hungry,
> the longevity of ham radio is assured, and with that longevity, access to
> our spectrum is assured also.  We either stand together or we fall apart.
>  Imagine if it was a new generation of Indian radio enthusiast who saved
> your 75M bacon.
>
> 73  W9OY

"This is the Voice of Moderation. I wouldn't go so far as to say we've
actually SEIZED the radio station . . . " -- Obsidian Wings