The CAT system is intended precisely to handle legacy software, so it's the
right thing to be using in these situations. That will continue to be the
case.

Regarding MIDI control, it's very unlikely that the F5K MIDI ports will
*ever* be opened up directly to user apps -- MIDI access to the F5K is
handled separately through the Virtual interface, so the issues raised here
are moot.

73
Frank
AB2KT

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Larry W8ER <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jim ...  I am confused a bit. Steve k5fr's DDUtil seemingly has all of
> this functionality. Steve has a different approach, in that he uses the
> software CAT interface of PSDR and the driving of the computers serial
> and parallel ports, but the end results are the same. It effectively
> controls the SteppIR and the various amps like the Quadra and the PW1
> and the LP-100 power meter and rotor direction control and autotune
> tuners. It can even lock other radios together for synchronizing the
> tuning. The only thing I see that is lacking is an ALC input for the 5K.
> Am I missing something or will the Flexwire box expand on these
> functions? -- Larry W8ER
>
> Jim Lux wrote:
> > At 09:53 AM 7/22/2008, Eric Wachsmann wrote:
> >
> >> Could you?  Yes.  Would you want to?  That's questionable.  The midi
> >> messages are basically like a stream of bytes going to/from a serial
> port.
> >> The messages themselves are >10 bytes each.  To allow another "writer"
> >> the port would mean that you would have to synchronize who was sending
> when.
> >>
> >> Having said all of that, there is nothing that would technically keep
> this
> >>
> > >from working as long as you avoid the collisions.  In RX mode, unless
> you
> >
> >> are changing frequency or setting some function, I don't believe there
> is
> >> anything active going on.  So in RX, this should be pretty easy.
> >>

> > I was wondering if the Windows MM driver would essentially "queue"
> > the outbound messages. (probably not, see below)
> >
> > So PowerSDR is sending messages.  Simultaneously, say you have
> > something like a rotator control that is sending messages, destined
> > for the I2C output.  Presumably, the state machine in the F5K
> > receives the entire midi sysex, parses it, then fires it off to do
> > whatever, then goes back to fetch the next MIDI message.. So the
> > messages are interleaved according to time of arrival at the Windows
> > Midi outbound queue.
> >
> > Indeed, if one did the query messages, I could see things getting
> > confused.  The F5K would send the SysEx back, and it's not clear who
> > the recipient task would be.
> >
> > But, if the Windows MM driver can only talk to one task at a time,
> > (i.e. it's like opening a serial port), then this is moot.
> > That is, if when you call Midi.MidiOutOpen, it only allows one user.
> >
> > (without delving too deeply into the arcana of the Windows MultiMedia
> API...
> >
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms789663.aspx
> >
> > Fascinating that they handle MIDI as an audio device...
> >
> > More at
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms712058%28VS.85%29.aspx
> >
> > It shows that MidiOutOpen can return a status of "MMSYSERR_ALLOCATED"
> > so it appears that only one process can talk to a given MIDI device
> > at a time...

> [...]

Travelling by airplane in the US is nothing more than mass training of
Americans to the requirements of the coming police state. The whole point is
to make you learn to acquiesce without question, en masse, to completely
absurd directives by dull functionaries wearing uniforms. -- Digby