Wow, RSX-11M?  I haven't used that in a
quarter-century.  Gary Unruh and I wrote
a 3GL for it that kept a big roomful of
data entry gals happy on a PDP 11/70 with
2 MEGAbytes of memory.  I even cobbled up
a clock card for it so I could run 45.45
baud and copied the 20 meter RTTY autostart
net at the same time.  I think I still
have a copy of my Baudot to ASCII converter
assembler program and the custom card.  I
got pretty nervous changing the wirewrap
on that expensive CPU in order to get access
to my oddball clock card.  I think it was
150 baud that I hacked to 45.45 baud.  Gary,
a veteran IBMer, was my mentor.  What a guy,
brilliant!

I loved the way it kept the old versions
of your files and you could purge /Keep ;2
to delete everything but the current version
and one previous copy when disc space got
tight.

I used to have to key the bootstrap loader
program on the console switches in binary
to start it.  I think I still remember the
program.

Somehow I don't think the DEC 11/70 would
be fast enough to do the DSP.

Any HP MPE fans here?  Now there was an
intuitive system.  Too bad the cryptic
UNIX killed it.  I loved HP's TurboImage.
That was a bulletproof database.  It
was lightning fast, if you kept up on
DB maintenance.  In a decade, I only lost
one morning's worth of data to a crash.
This was before RAID.  I remember one day
realizing that I hadn't booted the system
for a year and a half.  Over 60 simultaneous
users.  Try THAT with Windows.

Mike - AA8K