-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Peter G. Viscarola
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:10 AM
To: FlexRadio Reflector
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] [OT] Mac mini as PowerSDR machine

>A Cray-1 ain't *nearly* enough machine to run it, sad to say.

Now THAT's interesting.  I LOVE the comparisons between the old gear I
used to use and that we thought was so fast with the ordinary PCs we
take for granted daily.

MAN, I remember being AMAZED by the speed of the Cray-1 back in the late
70s.  I still have the architecture manual around here somewhere.

I spent some time looking this up (Google being my friend)... the Cray-1
was widely reported as being capable of 100-200 MFlops/second.
Depending on what you measure and how (SSE?  SSE3?) Xeon machines today
are capable of between 800 and 4,000 MFlops/second. YMMV and all that.

So... a PC beats a Cray-1 hands-down.  And while the PC will fit on your
desk, it doesn't have the comfy leather cushions around the outside
(over the power supplies).  So, the Cray still wins by that measure.

Peter K1PGV