Hmmmmmm
I wonder about this.
I wonder if the speed of contesting can handle 'thinking'.

My eyes watch the mark/space display, I have 'learned' how much I need to
turn the mouse wheel relative to have far off to the side of the mark/space
bars in the display, the mark appears to be.

I don't consciously determine the number of up/down mouse detents I need.
It's just reaction.
I'm usually pretty close.
The problem is 'timing'.
I only have so long to get my receiver locked on to the signal before I miss
the callsign.
If I'm cqing, I have to ask for a repeat.
If I'm S&Ping, I have to wait till he works the guy who got there first and
finishes.

As in life...TIMING IS EVERYTHING!

When I cq, I use this technique. I cq on vfob.
but I receive and tune in responding stations on vfoa
That way MY frequency never changes.
but I still have to compensate for responders who are off that smidgin that
results in no print.
Software AFC helps, but is not foolproof, so I resort to mouse wheel,
Shuttle center dial, or Navigator.
(It aids arthritic fingers to have multiple devices)

As I said, 1 or 5khz tunesteps are way to slow, 10 is just a tad too slow
50khz is too fast.

User defined tune steps are my hoped for choice.
A auto adjust mark/space AFC for digital would be great also. But may not be
fast enough.
My, and the other stations, ears are good enough for slight off frequency
replies in cw, but not for digital.